fishing spot logo
fishing spot font logo



New guy with a question about rod size in a kayak/canoe.


fishing user avatardetroithiker reply : 

I am still very new to fishing, only my 2nd season, and I want to know if kayak/canoe fishing requires a different rod length do to how low you are in the water?

I have been doing a lot of research and find everyone using long rods but I think that is mostly due to fishing while standing up on a bass boat, so I figure a canoe or kayak changes things a bit, what is your opinion?

 

Edit: I think I should add that my problem is just when the line gets wrapped around the rod tip and my 7' rod is hard to reach setting so low in the kayak with no place to set the but down like you can standing up.


fishing user avatarDarren. reply : 
  On 9/2/2016 at 9:14 PM, detroithiker said:

I am still very new to fishing, only my 2nd season, and I want to know if kayak/canoe fishing requires a different rod length do to how low you are in the water?

I have been doing a lot of research and find everyone using long rods but I think that is mostly due to fishing while standing up on a bass boat, so I figure a canoe or kayak changes things a bit, what is your opinion?

I for one use rods no longer than 6'6" because I find
they get in the way when I'm in tight quarters with 
either low-hanging trees, or other structure that can
interfere with casting.

My favorite size is probably in the 6-6'3" range, or
even 5'9". I'm fully aware that the trend is toward
longer rods, but they're just not my cup of tea and 
I don't care what the trend is! :) I fish what makes
my time on the water more enjoyable. I caught my
PB of 7.5# on a 6' casting rod, and I've caught 
numerous bass over 6# on my 5'9" spinning rod.

Just my experience, and I'm sticking to it! :) 


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 

I use the same rods that I use on shore, in a bass boat, or in a kayak.  In fact, I was using a 8' swimbait rod last night.


fishing user avatarTurtle135 reply : 

I use 7' baitcasting rods for just about every presentation. A rod that is not long enough to "clear the nose of your kayak" can be annoying when a bass inevitably decides he wants to be on the other side of your yak.


fishing user avatarbholtzinger14 reply : 

The overall size of the rod does not bother me when in my kayak. I do wish the rod handle (from the reel to the butt) was a few inches shorter.

I think there is a rod company that makes a kayak rod where the butt end is adjustable by a couple inches. That looks like a good idea to me but I have not used one.

 


fishing user avatarHeavyDluxe reply : 

I use 7' rods that I bought while I was strictly a bank angler.  It is sometimes an issue using the longer rods in tight quarters or making what are often short, accurate casts with longer sticks.

However, I think you'd just encounter different issue with shorter rods... Less casting distance if you're anchored and hitting multiple targets, less leverage on the fish, etc etc

If you can borrow a setup of whatever size you're looking at (longer or shorter) from a friend and try it... That's the only way to be sure what will work best for you.  But, I imagine that you can learn to use anything with practice and then that will become your 'preferred' setup.


fishing user avatarDarren. reply : 
  On 9/2/2016 at 10:55 PM, bholtzinger14 said:

The overall size of the rod does not bother me when in my kayak. I do wish the rod handle (from the reel to the butt) was a few inches shorter.

I think there is a rod company that makes a kayak rod where the butt end is adjustable by a couple inches. That looks like a good idea to me but I have not used one.

 

I actually cut down the butt of one of my Carbonlite 
rods which makes it not hit my vest anymore. Rod
is now 6'3" instead of 6'6".


fishing user avatarfishwizzard reply : 

I like short rods for both bank and yak.  I prefer the 6'-6'6" range, but I do have two casting rods that are 6'9", but I got a great deal on them.  I find that in my yak I often fish close to cover and we have a lot of overhanging trees.  I also prefer to present soft plastics (which is like 70-80% of what I fish) by side arm casting them low to the water, or skipping them if I can.  I find my 6" rod is much easier to do this with then my 6'3" rod.  My main kayak is also only 10' long, so I can get a fish over the bow with even my little 5'6" perch rod.  For bank fishing, I am often fighting undergrowth and tend to bushwhack a lot to find good spots.  

I also agree with Darren about short butts.  My two main spinning rods are customs from SmallieStix out of PA.  The owner's specialty is rods for smallmouth fishing out of kaykas. I have two from him, a 6' ML and a 6'3"M, both with microwave guides (to add back some casting distance) and short butts.  I also have a 7'ML St Croix and it now seems so cumbersome when I switch back to it.  

I recognize that longer rods are far better for a lot of techniques and presentations, but so far I have found the positives of a short rod for bank and yak are still greater than the downsides.  


fishing user avatardetroithiker reply : 

I think I should add that my problem is just when the line gets wrapped around the rod tip and my 7' rod is hard to reach sitting so low in the kayak with no place to set the but down like you can standing up


fishing user avatarflyfisher reply : 

I use the same rods ranging from 6'6" to 9' for my bank, boat or kayak fishing.  I prefer 6'8" or longer for conventional rods though but it is a preference more than a necessity.


fishing user avatarMassYak85 reply : 

I don't currently use a rod under 7' and I fish out of a kayak with all of them. Now, the issue of reaching the end to untangle is kind of annoying when it happens, but it's not so impossible to deal with that I feel I need to buy new rods. 


fishing user avatarWPCfishing reply : 

I fish out of a rigged canoe I can stand in.

I use rods from 6'- 7'6". 

If you haven't bought a kayak yet consider a good quality Glass, wide with a V bottom canoe designed for fishing. 

I run a 2hp Yamaha motor and  Minn Kota 55 Enduramax T motor. I can go anywhere I want.. I hunt for big bass in heavy cover a boat would never reach.

 


fishing user avatarJon P. reply : 

check out the hobie horizontal rod rack or the ascend FS128T kayak that comes with a horizontal rod system preinstalled.


fishing user avatarWPCfishing reply : 

Kayaks are extremely limited.. Get a fishing canoe and a trailer from Harbor Frieght.

image.jpeg

Edited by WPCfishing
Added picture

fishing user avatarCrustyMono reply : 

I like smaller rods, but will limit casting distance


fishing user avatarCaliyak reply : 

6"6'- 7 for me. I have the same problem. It doesn't bother me when I think about being stuck on shore. 


fishing user avatardetroithiker reply : 
  On 9/3/2016 at 12:25 PM, WPCfishing said:

I fish out of a rigged canoe I can stand in.

I use rods from 6'- 7'6". 

If you haven't bought a kayak yet consider a good quality Glass, wide with a V bottom canoe designed for fishing. 

I run a 2hp Yamaha motor and  Minn Kota 55 Enduramax T motor. I can go anywhere I want.. I hunt for big bass in heavy cover a boat would never reach.

 

I already own a few kayaks, I was kayaking before fishing so I own a 14' and 12' both sit in, I would love to get a SOT angler but I just don't want so many kayaks in the garage.

I also own a 14' madriver canoe I would love to make outriggers for it and stand up in the boat.

 


fishing user avatarJonister reply : 

Get a good sit on top! I would recommend to anyone a Jackson kayak. As far as rods go, I have a short 6'6 for stuff and don't like it for kayak fishing, I usually have 4-5 rods and that can limit you, so I like to keep my rods very multi purpose.  A 7' or 7'3 can do more than a 6'. At least for what I mainly do. I think it's most important to get a rod that fits You though, one that fits your situation best! 


fishing user avatarDschouest42 reply : 

Kayak wise, do not get a sit in: we call them SINKs for a reason: they fill with water and sink. Get a good sit on top, such as the Wilderness Systems Ride, the Jackson Cuda/Coosa, or heck even a Hobie.

Rod wise, I don't like a long rod other than my fly rods. I never go over 7 foot unless its my 9 foot fly rods. The reason is that the longer the rod, the longer a leaver you have to use to get the fish to the side of the boat. Meaning, you have to bend the rod further to get the fish boat side. More bend means more of a chance of breaking a rod. My current favorite rod is the Shimano Sellus 6'8". It is a fantastic rod, and has handled senkos, spinnerbaits, Texas rigs, lipless cranks, etc.


fishing user avatarDogBone_384 reply : 
  On 9/2/2016 at 10:55 PM, bholtzinger14 said:

The overall size of the rod does not bother me when in my kayak. I do wish the rod handle (from the reel to the butt) was a few inches shorter.

I think there is a rod company that makes a kayak rod where the butt end is adjustable by a couple inches. That looks like a good idea to me but I have not used one.

 

I own a couple Kistler rods that have shorter handles than my other rods. They don't hit my PFD or seat when I'm sitting. 

As far as rod length in my kayak. I own 6'6" - 7'3" and don't have a preferred length. 


fishing user avatarHeavyDluxe reply : 
  On 9/6/2016 at 12:13 PM, Dschouest42 said:

Kayak wise, do not get a sit in: we call them SINKs for a reason: they fill with water and sink. Get a good sit on top, such as the Wilderness Systems Ride, the Jackson Cuda/Coosa, or heck even a Hobie.

I don't normally call this stuff out, but I think this is not sound advice.  

The best kayak angler I've fished with fished out of a sit-in kayak.  They're perfectly suitable for fishing, though the form factor does come with its particular strengths and weaknesses. Again, try paddling some other boats that others have and see what you like (and can afford).

If you're fishing in moving water where a self-bailing kayak is important, then fine.  But I have fished all the local, non-white-water here out of both a SINK and SOT.  Sure, I end up with some water at the bottom of the SINK at the end of a day.  But, I end up with a wet bum in my SOT too - whether I have plugs in or not.

There's absolutely no reason to fear having a SINK for a fishing kayak in 90% of angling circumstances.


fishing user avatarDschouest42 reply : 
  On 9/6/2016 at 9:52 PM, HeavyDluxe said:

I don't normally call this stuff out, but I think this is not sound advice.  

The best kayak angler I've fished with fished out of a sit-in kayak.  They're perfectly suitable for fishing, though the form factor does come with its particular strengths and weaknesses. Again, try paddling some other boats that others have and see what you like (and can afford).

If you're fishing in moving water where a self-bailing kayak is important, then fine.  But I have fished all the local, non-white-water here out of both a SINK and SOT.  Sure, I end up with some water at the bottom of the SINK at the end of a day.  But, I end up with a wet bum in my SOT too - whether I have plugs in or not.

There's absolutely no reason to fear having a SINK for a fishing kayak in 90% of angling circumstances.

The reason I deter people from a SINK is two fold:

I fish a lot of busy waters. Lots of boaters who don't know how to slow down, and sometimes in waters that get rough quick with summer storms. The hull design of a SINK I find is prone to flipping. Most SOTs have chines in the hull that can catch easier when the boat begins to tip. And with a closed in hull, it is harder to take in water inside the boat: only pinhole leaks or leaky hatches will cause water to get inside.

The second reason is comfort. I like the options of seats nowadays: specially the high-low designs prevalent on models from Jackson, Wilderness Systems, and Old Town. I also like to stand up and sight fish. I have tried to stand in a SINK already, and I thought I was gonna flip.

I guess my biggest qualm is the ability to fish the style you want: I like to sit high, stand up, and be able to twist and turn to sight cast at redfish or even bass. I cant find a comfortable way to twist and turn in a SINK to make cast, grab equipment, or help a fellow kayaker.


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 

I fish out of a Commander 140.  I have NONE of the issues you describe.  The same could be said of the Pungo.  Both good fishing options that are not SOT.  I also own a Coosa.  I'll just say this: it sucks.  Worst boat I've ever owned.  It's only redeeming qualities are that it floats (barely, since the hatches leak so bad it actually accumulates more water than my commander, and the hull design is very wet) and the seat, which is what lulled me into it at first.


fishing user avatarFelix77 reply : 

I use the exact same rods I use fishing in bass tournaments as a co-angler.  That includes a 7'6" flippin' stick.   Cast angles and presentations will vary obviously but the rods to me are more technique specific.

If there is one thing I prefer in my kayak is a minimum of 7' for my spinning outfits.  Gives me more of an angle when setting the hook with a drop shot or wacky senko.   

As for your comment about managing line tangles at the tip.   With practice you will find something that will work for you to manage this.   Dunked a few setups in the water this way but thankfully they were all recovered quickly.

Tight lines.


fishing user avatarDschouest42 reply : 
  On 9/6/2016 at 11:43 PM, J Francho said:

I fish out of a Commander 140.  I have NONE of the issues you describe.  The same could be said of the Pungo.  Both good fishing options that are not SOT.  I also own a Coosa.  I'll just say this: it sucks.  Worst boat I've ever owned.  It's only redeeming qualities are that it floats (barely, since the hatches leak so bad it actually accumulates more water than my commander, and the hull design is very wet) and the seat, which is what lulled me into it at first.

Fair enough. I honestly forgot about the Commander and Pugo. Again, its just preferential. Try before you buy, and find what best fits your style of fishing. For me? SOTs and SUPs fit the bill perfectly


fishing user avatartimsford reply : 

Manley rods makes USA made rods with a special rear handle that extends or shortens up to 6". They are kayak designed rods that way you can use the shorter grip in the yak and then extend it out when fishing from shore or a larger boat so you have more leverage




682

related Bass Boats Canoes Kayaks topic

Skeg Motor Question
Show your ride...
Website for ethanol free gas locations
Any Pelican Bass Raider Owners Out There?
Tracker 2018 Heritage/2019 Classic edition boat
Lund Renegade Bass Boat
My Restoration Thread
Re-powering the Lund 1875 Pro-V Bass Boat
First boat
Let's see your boats!!!
Leak In My Jon Boat
How Do you Guys Afford Your Boats?
Post Pics of your Bass Rig
Impressions of the 2016 Lund Pro V Bass boat from the Minneapolis Boat Show
2016 Lund Pro V Bass
It's Official... I Have A Project. The "dream 12'er".
Got a new Boat ~
towing with a small suv?
Electric baby bass boat *(Pics added)*
Tell us about your kayak



previous topic
Pics of my boat recarpeting job -- Bass Boats Canoes Kayaks
next topic
Skeg Motor Question -- Bass Boats Canoes Kayaks





© 2020 - fishing.qciss.net. All Rights Reserved.