fishing spot logo
fishing spot font logo



Wichita Area In Winter


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 

Any of you guys in the Wichita area have much luck with winter bass outside of power plant lakes? Hoping to find a few places nearby that would produce in the next month.


fishing user avataraavery2 reply : 

Trout fishing is good at the Zoo park.   


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 

I've been hearing and reading about this strip pit in the Wichita area. Anyone know anything about it? I usually have to drive awhile to get to good fishing, but I am getting excited about the prospect of be able to catch bass around here.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 

I too would be interested in this strip pit information. I've had success at Chisholm North Lake but that is about all.


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 

Got a 3lber at the Great Plains Nature Center Sunday. It's a better pond than I expected, and it's easy to get to quick. I will be going back when I don't have time to travel.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 
  On 2/10/2015 at 4:22 AM, AboriginyGuru said:

Got a 3lber at the Great Plains Nature Center Sunday. It's a better pond than I expected, and it's easy to get to quick. I will be going back when I don't have time to travel.

I haven't fished this. Any tips for this place? Especially in winter?


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 

Slow and small. I used a 1/4 oz jig and a a crappie crankbait with a really tight wobble. Caught the big one on the crankbait bouncing it off anything I could find.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 
  On 2/10/2015 at 10:31 AM, AboriginyGuru said:

Slow and small. I used a 1/4 oz jig and a a crappie crankbait with a really tight wobble. Caught the big one on the crankbait bouncing it off anything I could find.

I have had the most luck at Chisholm North around the wood and brush. Were the fish you caught tight to wood? Or in more open water?


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 

I always fish cover. It can be grass, wood, docks, anything they can sit on.


fishing user avatarDylan.747 reply : 

I've heard good things about the 2 ponds near the water treatment facility at 135th and 37th in Maize. I think they are named "Blackbird" and "Sunflower" ponds. Not sure how a buddy of mine caught 4 fish from there considering the lack of cover and time of year, but I'm gonna give it a shot on Friday.


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 
  On 2/12/2015 at 10:14 AM, Dylan.747 said:

I've heard good things about the 2 ponds near the water treatment facility at 135th and 37th in Maize. I think they are named "Blackbird" and "Sunflower" ponds. Not sure how a buddy of mine caught 4 fish from there considering the lack of cover and time of year, but I'm gonna give it a shot on Friday.

I've tried that place a few times over the last 2 years and all I see out there are snakes, lots of snakes. I stood by the intake and saw 7 huge snakes in 10 minutes. Plus they have the same issue as all of the public waters in Sedgwock county, they only stock them with bass once and then people clean them out. Now they stocl it several times a year with cats, but not bass. Good luck hope its better for you.


fishing user avatarDylan.747 reply : 

I'll let you know how it goes. Where else have you guys had luck this winter?


fishing user avatarMr_Scrogg reply : 

That's the problem with many of the ponds around town. Harvested to the point where if you do find some gem, you keep it to yourself. Many of the places in town are catfish factories. Great plains center lake is catch and release, good fish in it. I've caught fish in the KDOT lakes.


fishing user avatarDylan.747 reply : 
  On 2/13/2015 at 4:45 AM, Mr_Scrogg said:

That's the problem with many of the ponds around town. Harvested to the point where if you do find some gem, you keep it to yourself. Many of the places in town are catfish factories. Great plains center lake is catch and release, good fish in it. I've caught fish in the KDOT lakes.

Yeah, I know of a few spots that have produced consistently in the spring and summer months, but it gets very slow around these parts in the winter and fall. I think I'm just too impatient with my approach. What do you guys think about tossing a jig in a sandpit in the next couple weeks when the air temp gets to the 50s?


fishing user avatarMr_Scrogg reply : 

You catch them there in the summer, you can catch them in the winter.

Slow down, down size. And slow down some more


fishing user avatarDeverez reply : 

I caught a huge spotted bass at El Dorado this last December. The water was 39 degrees. Used a finesse jig.


fishing user avatarcwknight07 reply : 

Anyone been having any luck around Wichita lately? I tried out Chisholm North the other day with no luck, but killed it when I moved to a spot out in Andover.


fishing user avatarDylan.747 reply : 

I caught about 25 yesterday at a private pond, none bigger than 2 pounds though.


fishing user avatarcwknight07 reply : 

I caught a lot around 2 pounds and then one around 6 I tried to upload a picture, but it's saying the file is to big.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 
  On 3/16/2015 at 11:52 PM, cwknight07 said:

I caught a lot around 2 pounds and then one around 6 I tried to upload a picture, but it's saying the file is to big.

Where in Andover was working?


fishing user avatarjesse1378 reply : 

i know its a little late for winter fishing talk, but right now with this warming trend several places are showing good activity. i have been throwing moving baits with pretty good sucess. Mainly swimjigs and chatterbaits.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 
  On 3/17/2015 at 8:48 PM, jesse1378 said:

i know its a little late for winter fishing talk, but right now with this warming trend several places are showing good activity. i have been throwing moving baits with pretty good sucess. Mainly swimjigs and chatterbaits.

Have any public fishing areas worked out well for you?


fishing user avatarjesse1378 reply : 

That is all i fish. i don't have any access to private places.


fishing user avatarplaymaker47 reply : 
  On 3/18/2015 at 4:40 AM, jesse1378 said:

That is all i fish. i don't have any access to private places.

Which places have you had the most success at?


fishing user avatarcwknight07 reply : 

I haven't had any luck at Chisholm North went again yesterday. I've been going to a neighborhood up in Andover and a small pond next to where I live on 37th and Woodlawn.


fishing user avatarMr_Scrogg reply : 

There are many community ponds that participate in the CFAP. Basically, the KDWPT manages the neighborhood pond. The pond in my neighborhood is part of the program. I've caught some nice fish. I've transplanted some nice fish as well.


fishing user avatarcwknight07 reply : 

Has anyone tried out the lakes in bel aire? I believe they are called Eagle lake and then a lake in Alley Park.


fishing user avatarjesse1378 reply : 

i fish the ponds on the Kansas wildlife website. they all work out about the same for me. Mostly 1-2lers with an ocassional 3lber mixed in.


fishing user avatarAboriginyGuru reply : 

I had some pretty good luck lately at the chisholm refuge pond off woodlawn. Caught a 4lber and several 3lbers there in the last few weeks.




1421

related Central Bass Fishing topic

Lets Talk Calcasieu River
Rayburn lately????
Nebraska Bassers
Big Bass Splash on Toledo Bend
Quick name Texas's top 3 trophy lakes before reading



previous topic
2014 Fall Strip Pitt Classic -- Central Bass Fishing
next topic
Lets Talk Calcasieu River -- Central Bass Fishing





© 2020 - fishing.qciss.net. All Rights Reserved.