fishing spot logo
fishing spot font logo



BFS Reel Seat


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 

I'm planning on making a BFS Rod with these specs: length 6'6''

butt: .323

wt: .81

What's a good reel seat and butt cap?


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 

Will this work 

http://www.mudhole.com/MINIMA-Ultra-Lite-Exposed-Blank-Casting-Reel-Seat?quantity=1&custcol50=93

Also are size 16 fuji reel seats too big?


fishing user avatarDelaware Valley Tackle reply : 

The reel seat has no affect on the BFS application of the Rod one way or the other. The minima seat is a love it or hate it proposition. If you've never used one i wouldn't gamble on a custom build. I'd go with an exposed blank seat with threads trimmed flush to the hood with a reel mounted.  


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 
  On 10/31/2016 at 2:00 AM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The reel seat has no affect on the BFS application of the Rod one way or the other. The minima seat is a love it or hate it proposition. If you've never used one i wouldn't gamble on a custom build. I'd go with an exposed blank seat with threads trimmed flush to the hood with a reel mounted.  

Thanks for the reply and the warning about the Minima seat. My concern is not BFS application but whether it will fit on the blank size. Will a size 16 Fuji fit? or is too big with arbor?

 

Do you have a link to the one you're recommending? thanks again.


fishing user avatarDelaware Valley Tackle reply : 

Exposed blank seats are pre sized to fit the blank where you want it. Otherwise use a foam arbor. 


fishing user avatarDelaware Valley Tackle reply : 

http://www.mudhole.com//Fuji-ACS-Trigger-Reel-Seat


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 10/30/2016 at 10:41 PM, Nstd said:

Will this work 

http://www.mudhole.com/MINIMA-Ultra-Lite-Exposed-Blank-Casting-Reel-Seat?quantity=1&custcol50=93

Also are size 16 fuji reel seats too big?

the minima reel seat only goes down to a 9.5 mm , your blank would need a size 8 if they made it in the Minima , so you would have to use an arbor just like with any other reel seat including the ACS ( also like the Minima , smallest inside dia. is 9.5 mm ) so any seat you use you will just have to use arbors with winding checks for gap issues , your handle material with take up other gaps . that's the issue with using an ultra light blank with a casting seat ...


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 
  On 10/31/2016 at 7:09 AM, Big Bait Fishing said:

the minima reel seat only goes down to a 9.5 mm , your blank would need a size 8 if they made it in the Minima , so you would have to use an arbor just like with any other reel seat including the ACS ( also like the Minima , smallest inside dia. is 9.5 mm ) so any seat you use you will just have to use arbors with winding checks for gap issues , your handle material with take up other gaps . that's the issue with using an ultra light blank with a casting seat ...

 

  On 10/31/2016 at 6:30 AM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

http://www.mudhole.com//Fuji-ACS-Trigger-Reel-Seat

Thanks! both of your comments were very helpful.

Do you guys recommend anything for guides? sizing?


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 

guide sizing are usually the users preference , my preference would be some small micro guides in a size 3 , you most likely will be using 5-8 lb. line  and i would assume no braid , so small micro's will be optimal .


fishing user avatarDelaware Valley Tackle reply : 

A Fuji BLAG 5.5 flowers by size 3 or 4 micros to the tip. 


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 

5would you size up on the first two double foot guide? For example 5 - 5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 10/31/2016 at 8:06 AM, Nstd said:

5would you size up on the first two double foot guide? For example 5 - 5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3.5

i use a size 5 BLCAG-5j doble foot reverse surf guide as the stripper guide (first guide ) then American Tackle Artus heavy duty micro guides in size 3 out to the tip .here is a picture of these guides next to a dime for comparision , your Fuji 3.5's will work , i just prefer the ones i listed cause they elevate the guide ring a tad higher off the blank and also cause they are a lot stronger guides .

IMAG1082.jpg


fishing user avatar.ghoti. reply : 

Something for you to consider. The Minima seat, mounted a very small diameter blank, may well prove to be the most uncomfortable rod you will ever have in your hand. 


fishing user avatar.ghoti. reply : 

Take a look at Alps titanium frame F series guides. They are my choice for light weight guides when Recoils are not wanted. 


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 

forgot to mention for you to skip putting two double foot guides , you only need one ..


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 6:28 AM, .ghoti. said:

Take a look at Alps titanium frame F series guides. They are my choice for light weight guides when Recoils are not wanted. 

kind off topic , do people actually ask for recoils ???


fishing user avatarHogsticker reply : 

Yeah, you only need 1 double foot guide on a bass rod imo. I like size a size 5.5 followed by 4.5 size running guides. Anything smaller is a pita on a windy day with break offs. I'll go against the grain and suggest the Fuji ACS reel seat for a light bait build. Use to hate it, but this is where it shines.


fishing user avatarQUAKEnSHAKE reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 9:35 AM, Big Bait Fishing said:

forgot to mention for you to skip putting two double foot guides , you only need one ..

Do you even need one?? I have 4 micro guide bass rods they dont have any double footed guides. Oldest is 7 years heavy use without an issue.


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 11:11 AM, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Do you even need one?? I have 4 micro guide bass rods they dont have any double footed guides. Oldest is 7 years heavy use without an issue.

having a double foot stripper guide is not mandatory but it does take a lot of stress of a single footed guide ,especially if you are using a spiral wrap that places more lateral torque on the guide , that's why i use the smallest guide , a size 5 BLCAG  ( i know , only a hair smaller than the 5.5 BLCAG )


fishing user avatar.ghoti. reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 9:50 AM, Big Bait Fishing said:

kind off topic , do people actually ask for recoils ???

Yes. If you want the lightest guide set possible, Recoils are it. 

And, I see no need for double foot guides on a bass rod.


fishing user avatar.ghoti. reply : 

Any exposed blank type reel seat will leave un unsightly, and uncomfortable, gap between the cut out and the blank. I would use a Fuji TCSM seat, trimmed, with a full length arbor.. And a winding check in front of the seat.


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 11:13 PM, .ghoti. said:

Yes. If you want the lightest guide set possible, Recoils are it. 

And, I see no need for double foot guides on a bass rod.

recoils are pretty light , but CRB Nano Micro guides are the lightest guides out on the market that i've seen , not that i would use either of them ,  when you start talking weight savings in grains , you splitting baby hairs at that point !! i will always stick to a ceramic insert guide .


fishing user avatarNstd reply : 

Thanks for the wealth of info.

Whats a good cork split grip to go with the fuji acs #16?


fishing user avatarBig Bait Fishing reply : 
  On 11/4/2016 at 5:43 AM, Nstd said:

Thanks for the wealth of info.

Whats a good cork split grip to go with the fuji acs #16?

handles on rods are personal tastses / choices ...


fishing user avatarDelaware Valley Tackle reply : 

Grains of weight are a small unit but can be meaningful on a percentage basis of the whole guide train. I use recoils on float rods for steelhead with no problems. I'd use a ringed tip top on a bass Rod 


fishing user avatarJrob78 reply : 
  On 11/1/2016 at 11:11 AM, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Do you even need one?? I have 4 micro guide bass rods they dont have any double footed guides. Oldest is 7 years heavy use without an issue.

No, you don't need one.




13290

related Rod Building and Custom Rods topic

a new stick for Roadwarrior
Sensitivity Of Rodgeeks Carbon 4 Vs. St. Croix Sciv



previous topic
Rod Builders? -- Rod Building and Custom Rods
next topic
a new stick for Roadwarrior -- Rod Building and Custom Rods





© 2020 - fishing.qciss.net. All Rights Reserved.