fishing spot logo
fishing spot font logo



Humminbird Helix 5 or ?


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 

Hey guys, I am looking to replace my fishfinder and have it narrowed down to the Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp DI GPS G2  http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-CHIRP-DI-GPS-G2/

 

Does anyone have experience with this ? Pros / cons or do you think something is better for the same features and cost ? I dont want to spend anymore than $350 ( the cost of this one ) "I only Bass fish on small lakes"

 

Thanks for any input !


fishing user avatarDarren. reply : 

No experience with it, but you'll get some good responses

from those who have.

 

I'll just welcome you to the forums!


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 

Thanks !

 


fishing user avatarWayne P. reply : 

I field tested that model before release. It is the one of the second generation of the Helix 5 series.

 

It CHIRP's Sonar and Down Imaging, has built-in Auto Chart Live, will read any Lakemaster or Navionics map product, and has a very bright screen. 


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 

Thanks for the reply !

I wont be using any of the lake map features and was wondering if I even need GPS ? But I see the model down without GPS doesnt have CHIRP so I am forced to this model as CHIRP is important to have. I guess having GPS is a good thing in the long run, So what is auto chart live ? 

 

Thanks 

 


fishing user avatarWayne P. reply : 

Auto Chart Live is a real time internal contour map creation software that you can generate your own contour mapping for places that have none or get better detail where it is lacking.

 

The colored area in this screen shot is where I did Auto Chart Live for a submerged pond dam.

I did not do it enough to get it perfect, just testing how it does for a bottom feature.

 

S00035_zpsbzzsevdw.png


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 

Wow, Thats a very cool feature !

 


fishing user avatarriverbasser reply : 

Idk if you have ever had GPS or not but it is one of my most useful tools. I have the previous model helix 5 and I love it. Of course I want a bigger screen but for my budget it has definitely changed my fishing for the better.


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 

No, Never had GPS and was wondering what it would help me with, but thought to get it anyway as It would be useful down the road.


fishing user avatarSkeeter Dan reply : 

I changed out my 200DX to a Helix 5 SI DI GPS AND I LOVE IT. Yeh the screen is small . I wish I could afford a 7 or 8 but but they cost to much for my budget.


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 12:06 AM, Skeeter Dan said:

I changed out my 200DX to a Helix 5 SI DI GPS AND I LOVE IT. Yeh the screen is small . I wish I could afford a 7 or 8 but but they cost to much for my budget.

I was also looking into the SI but just cant seem to understand what Im seeing LOL I had it explained to me @ BassPro and looked on the Humminbird web site about it but still doesnt make sense.. DI is good for me.

 

What did your model cost ? was it the G2 ?


fishing user avatarWayne P. reply : 

MSRP of the SI version G1 and G2 is the same---- $499


fishing user avatar12poundbass reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 12:59 AM, LoweStinger said:

I was also looking into the SI but just cant seem to understand what Im seeing LOL I had it explained to me @ BassPro and looked on the Humminbird web site about it but still doesnt make sense.. DI is good for me.

 

What did your model cost ? was it the G2 ?

Do yourself a favor and do more research,watch videos, and ask all the questions you want until you understand side imaging, otherwise you're limiting yourself. DI is great but you're really limited to what you can see unless you only fish deep water. Stick with the research, once you get it it'll click and you'll be amazed!


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 1:50 AM, 12poundbass said:

Do yourself a favor and do more research,watch videos, and ask all the questions you want until you understand side imaging, otherwise you're limiting yourself. DI is great but you're really limited to what you can see unless you only fish deep water. Stick with the research, once you get it it'll click and you'll be amazed!

 

I hear you on that, I know SI could be a very valuable tool if you know what your are looking at ( I currently dont lol ) Do you think SI is more valuable than GPS with my use on small lakes and canals ?   Its a big expense for me so I want to get everything I will need out of it and not wish I would have got something different after.


fishing user avatarWayne P. reply : 

I have five Side Imaging units and use Side Imaging a lot more than GPS


fishing user avatar12poundbass reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 1:59 AM, LoweStinger said:

 

I hear you on that, I know SI could be a very valuable tool if you know what your are looking at ( I currently dont lol ) Do you think SI is more valuable than GPS with my use on small lakes and canals ?   Its a big expense for me so I want to get everything I will need out of it and not wish I would have got something different after.

Listen to what Wayne has to say. He is a wizard when it comes to these things. He will help you out with what you need, and steer you in the right direction and not suggest more than you want or need. I'm no expert, I've been reading up on these units for about a year now so I'm only one step ahead of you.


fishing user avatarriverbasser reply : 

I use my SI and GPS hand in hand. The GPS (along with a map card) shows me the structure/depth, Then I use the SI to inspect the structure for different types of cover(brush, rock) and also for baitfish. They are both very important tools for me


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 2:30 AM, Wayne P. said:

I have five Side Imaging units and use Side Imaging a lot more than GPS

 

 

This was a great video thanks for posting !


fishing user avatarSkeeter Dan reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 12:59 AM, LoweStinger said:

I was also looking into the SI but just cant seem to understand what Im seeing LOL I had it explained to me @ BassPro and looked on the Humminbird web site about it but still doesnt make sense.. DI is good for me.

 

What did your model cost ? was it the G2 ?

I'm not sure. Mine is the KVD model. I got it off of Ebay for about $ 375.00 new in the box.


fishing user avatarbassh8er reply : 

I'd suggest keeping an eye for a deal and get something with GPS and Side imaging.

 

I found a first gen Helix 7 with SI and GPS this winter for $350 and it will be making its maiden voyage this Sunday in 70 degree weather in a eastern Nebraska.  Just bought the Autochart program today in preparation.


fishing user avatarLoweStinger reply : 
  On 2/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, bassh8er said:

I'd suggest keeping an eye for a deal and get something with GPS and Side imaging.

 

I found a first gen Helix 7 with SI and GPS this winter for $350 and it will be making its maiden voyage this Sunday in 70 degree weather in a eastern Nebraska.  Just bought the Autochart program today in preparation.

I ended up with the Garmin echoMap 73sv from bass pro on sale $499 !


fishing user avatarcvtrahan reply : 
  On 2/13/2017 at 9:18 AM, Wayne P. said:

Auto Chart Live is a real time internal contour map creation software that you can generate your own contour mapping for places that have none or get better detail where it is lacking.

 

The colored area in this screen shot is where I did Auto Chart Live for a submerged pond dam.

I did not do it enough to get it perfect, just testing how it does for a bottom feature.

 

S00035_zpsbzzsevdw.png

I'm a newbee on this forum.  Although I've done a lot of fishing, I'm also new to serious fishing.  I just purchased a Humminbird Helix 5 G2 with Chirp DI and GPS.  The transducer is not yet installed so so far I've only experienced the GPS; works great!

 

I'm very interested in your posts on this forum.  Your photos do not display for me on this particular answer, but I hope I can accomplish what you're describing.

 

Finally, I've got a SmartStrike chip coming.  Do you have any opinions on that?  Does it make sense, or is it even possible, to also use a Humminbird Lakemaster chip?


fishing user avatarcvtrahan reply : 
  On 2/14/2017 at 2:30 AM, Wayne P. said:

I have five Side Imaging units and use Side Imaging a lot more than GPS

Thank you.  Well done, clear and informative.  I just bought this unit and am trying to learn; this helps.


fishing user avatarr83srock reply : 

They are great units and are more than enough for me, and fall within my budget with room to spare. I've done pretty well in some tournaments because of them. I have used newer, bigger, more expensive units and I do feel I'm missing much for the way I fish.


fishing user avatarwebertime reply : 

Hold off until winter, lots of amazing deals on larger units. 

IF you can't do that, look at the Garmin echoMAP 53CV.  It's nearly identical to the Helix 5 you are looking at, you can make your own maps with it just like the Helix.  You can get them for less than what you are looking at spending. 

 

Chirp makes VERY little difference when you are shallow (less than 40ft) water.  If you find an older model in a larger size, DON'T get stuck on it not having chirp...


fishing user avatar12poundbass reply : 
  On 9/21/2017 at 3:18 AM, webertime said:

Hold off until winter, lots of amazing deals on larger units. 

IF you can't do that, look at the Garmin echoMAP 53CV.  It's nearly identical to the Helix 5 you are looking at, you can make your own maps with it just like the Helix.  You can get them for less than what you are looking at spending. 

 

Chirp makes VERY little difference when you are shallow (less than 40ft) water.  If you find an older model in a larger size, DON'T get stuck on it not having chirp...

If a guy could live without mapping the Striker 7 is the way to go. Garmin has good pricing on their units.




12950

related Marine Electronics topic

Best value Side imaging unit with bottom contour ability.
DIY Kayak Battery Box
Help a newbie out.
GRAPH GLASS ~ Updated Review Added
how accurate are navionics topo maps



previous topic
Trying To Get Fish Finder Help Humminbird I Prefer -- Marine Electronics
next topic
Best value Side imaging unit with bottom contour ability. -- Marine Electronics





© 2020 - fishing.qciss.net. All Rights Reserved.