fishing spot logo
fishing spot font logo



shipping rods 2022


fishing user avatarwarrior1 reply : 

I have a question and hope it's OK to post it here.  I want to post some rods for sale but wondered if anyone can tell me how is the best way to ship and what to expect to pay for shipping.  the lengths are from 6'9" to 7'6".

 

Thanks


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 

They sell long, heavy duty, cardboard tubes for this.  Wrap the rod in bubble wrap, and slide it into the tube.  Use lots of tape for the end caps.


fishing user avatarBrett's_daddy reply : 

Wrap the rods in small bubblewrap, put them in pvc tubes about 2" ID, add some extra packing on the top and bottom, cap both ends and tape vigorously. Shipping ranges in price depending on location but assume $20 - $30 dollars whichever courier/USPS you choose.


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 

I've received more than a few broken rods shipped in PVC because the PVC shattered when dropped.  I've only ever had one broken rod in the heavy duty cardboard.


fishing user avatarwarrior1 reply : 

Thanks all for the quick responses.  I connected with Phenix and have to get rid of all my other rods and I was trying to see if it was worth trying to sell them here.  Thanks again!


fishing user avatarBlaineFred reply : 

I put the butt end handle into a plastic bag that I secure to the handle, wrapping it in duc tape.  I then tape a piece of duc tape to this, taping the end of the duc tape to the end of the  shipping tube.  I do this to prevent the rod from sliding in the tube, thus providing extra security to prevent damage to the tip. (The tip is bubble wrapped, and the rod is put into plastic.

 

I recently got a rod from Dobyns, and they used string to secure the handle end to the tube end instead of the duc tape that I use.

 


fishing user avatarBlaineFred reply : 

Some people prefer to use PVC pipe for the shipping tube.  I noticed that the walls of some pipe are thicker than others, making for a heavier tube, and more costly to ship.

 

i use FedEx, and they weigh the tube, and measure the length and diameter.  PVC tubes have smaller diameters than the compressed paper tube types , and could cost less.

 

Shipping cross country can run as high as $50, depending on weight, size, etc.  I insure the shipment which FedEx charges $1 for each $100, so insuring a $300 rod is $3.

 

 


fishing user avatarwarrior1 reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 5:07 AM, BlaineFred said:

Some people prefer to use PVC pipe for the shipping tube.  I noticed that the walls of some pipe are thicker than others, making for a heavier tube, and more costly to ship.

 

i use FedEx, and they weigh the tube, and measure the length and diameter.  PVC tubes have smaller diameters than the compressed paper tube types , and could cost less.

 

Shipping cross country can run as high as $50, depending on weight, size, etc.  I insure the shipment which FedEx charges $1 for each $100, so insuring a $300 rod is $3.

 

 

I might try Craiglist first; shipping is crazy.  And, to think I worked for USPS for 30 years before I moved to another Fed Agency. 


fishing user avatarKevin R reply : 

A tip for shipping USPS, shipping priority saves you about $15-$20 average. Most rod tubes will exceed their normal ground service length limit, and they will slap a surcharge on top for cumbersome size. Shipping priority will wipe the surcharge, give you free tracking, and they'll get it much quicker. I've paid 15 bucks to send a 7'7" rod in a 3" tube halfway across the country. Before I knew any better I paid $36  


fishing user avatarDINK WHISPERER reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 6:12 PM, Kevin R said:

A tip for shipping USPS, shipping priority saves you about $15-$20 average. Most rod tubes will exceed their normal ground service length limit, and they will slap a surcharge on top for cumbersome size. Shipping priority will wipe the surcharge, give you free tracking, and they'll get it much quicker. I've paid 15 bucks to send a 7'7" rod in a 3" tube halfway across the country. Before I knew any better I paid $36  

My God... I'm glad someone finally said this! I've done this for years now. I just shipped an 8 footer from FL to CA for $ 14.78....


fishing user avatardeaknh03 reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 6:12 PM, Kevin R said:

A tip for shipping USPS, shipping priority saves you about $15-$20 average. Most rod tubes will exceed their normal ground service length limit, and they will slap a surcharge on top for cumbersome size. Shipping priority will wipe the surcharge, give you free tracking, and they'll get it much quicker. I've paid 15 bucks to send a 7'7" rod in a 3" tube halfway across the country. Before I knew any better I paid $36  

But the max length plus diameter is 108". I've been thru this scenario many a time. 


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 7:40 PM, deaknh03 said:

But the max length plus diameter is 108". I've been thru this scenario many a time. 

 

(7*12) + 7 + 3 = 94.

 

What am I missing?


fishing user avatar.ghoti. reply : 

Dont use diameter. Use circumference.


fishing user avatardeaknh03 reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 8:50 PM, J Francho said:

 

(7*12) + 7 + 3 = 94.

 

What am I missing?

An 8 foot rod is 96" plus let's say 2" on either end as a buffer, your at 100", plus the diameter, 3". Total is 103". Just don't go above 108" total.


fishing user avatardeaknh03 reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 8:57 PM, .ghoti. said:

Dont use diameter. Use circumference.

Your right.


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 

That makes a big difference.  That makes a 3" tube over 7".


fishing user avatardeaknh03 reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 9:26 PM, J Francho said:

That makes a big difference.  That makes a 3" tube over 7".

Now that I think about it, I think it is circumference,  distance all the way around.

Just checked..they want BOTH.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/182385-tips-on-shipping-rods/#comment-2054955

 


fishing user avatarnew2BC4bass reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 4:55 AM, BlaineFred said:

I put the butt end handle into a plastic bag that I secure to the handle, wrapping it in duc tape.  I then tape a piece of duc tape to this, taping the end of the duc tape to the end of the  shipping tube.  I do this to prevent the rod from sliding in the tube, thus providing extra security to prevent damage to the tip. (The tip is bubble wrapped, and the rod is put into plastic.

 

I recently got a rod from Dobyns, and they used string to secure the handle end to the tube end instead of the duc tape that I use.

 

 

Only shipped one rod, but let's just say it was over packed since I have received a few broken rods mostly caused by sloppy packing.  One piece of tape around the ends...allowing for someone to remove an end cap to see what was inside, but not replacing it.  Nothing to keep the rod from sliding back-and-forth.  No protection on the tip.  Etc., etc.

 

I packed rod length in bubble wrap so it fit snug in tube.  Tied string around handle and taped other end of string to the outside of the tube for ease of removal.  Inserted end caps.  Drilled 2 holes through tube and end caps.  Ran short bolts through the holes and used a washer on the tube side for extra protection to keep the screw from pulling through the tube, and tightened down the nut with a wrench.  Then added tape around the ends.

 

Short of stepping on the middle of the tube, I can guarantee it wasn't going to break in transit, nor was anyone going to remove an end cap without some tools.  :teeth:


fishing user avatarKevin R reply : 

They refer to it as "Girth" which would be circumference. Much different than diameter. Check the math, cut the tube if need be, or use a 2" as long as it's a casting rod and not a spinning rod with the tall first guide. Hope this helps someone save some bucks.. The less you give the post office the more you can spend on baits guys. 


fishing user avatarDaveT63 reply : 

I agree with the USPS Priority shipping.  I have shipped many rods in the heavy cardboard tubes, including  a 7'8" rod, for less than $20 including insurance.  But you do usually have to specify Priority 2-Day to the clerk as the Post Office.  Many of them are not aware of the difference, and are surprised to find out.


fishing user avatarschmiggity reply : 

Inexpensive way to protect rod while shipping is to go to Lowes or Menard's Plumbing Dept. and buy 8 ft length of pipe insulation for $1.25.  Open up the end of it ( is pre-split) and slide it over rod, then slide into cardboard tube.  Best protection available at reasonable price !!!!

 

 


fishing user avatarCroakHunter reply : 
  On 6/28/2017 at 7:53 AM, schmiggity said:

Inexpensive way to protect rod while shipping is to go to Lowes or Menard's Plumbing Dept. and buy 8 ft length of pipe insulation for $1.25.  Open up the end of it ( is pre-split) and slide it over rod .  Best protection available at reasonable price !!!!

 

 

Pool noodles work well too if you don't have a hardware store close and have scissors to cut a slit. 


fishing user avatarBig Kahuna Ranch reply : 

I had a member here ship me two rods.

This is what the cardboard tube looked like when I recieved it.

 

Fortunatly, the bend in the tube was on the tip end of the rods and the seller

had wrapped them with bubble tape so they came in ok

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG


fishing user avatarGundog reply : 
  On 6/27/2017 at 8:50 PM, J Francho said:

 

(7*12) + 7 + 3 = 94.

 

What am I missing?

 

  On 6/27/2017 at 8:57 PM, .ghoti. said:

Dont use diameter. Use circumference.

 

  On 6/27/2017 at 9:05 PM, deaknh03 said:

An 8 foot rod is 96" plus let's say 2" on either end as a buffer, your at 100", plus the diameter, 3". Total is 103". Just don't go above 108" total.

 


fishing user avatarjbsoonerfan reply : 

Bottom line......shipping rods isn't usually worth the money. Buy a rod for $200, use it twice, get $100 for it on here, pay $30 to ship it, eat the PP fees and pray it makes it in one piece. You make $65. Not worth it.


fishing user avatardeaknh03 reply : 
  On 6/29/2017 at 1:49 PM, jbsoonerfan said:

Bottom line......shipping rods isn't usually worth the money. Buy a rod for $200, use it twice, get $100 for it on here, pay $30 to ship it, eat the PP fees and pray it makes it in one piece. You lose $135. Not worth it.

 


fishing user avatarJ Francho reply : 
  On 6/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Big Kahuna Ranch said:

This is what the cardboard tube looked like when I recieved it.

 

How thick was the cardboard?  The tubes I've received were WAY stronger than PVC, and it would take nothing short of a fork lift or other machinery to break it.


fishing user avatarbuzzed bait reply : 

i've never once received a cardboard tube that could equal the tensile strength of schedule 40 pvc.  i've received a couple rods in cardboard tubes that were clearly broken in half and then taped back together as if that would magically fix whatever was inside!  (knocking on wood) have yet to receive a broken rod in a pvc tube.  

one thing to do to help with them not getting broken in transit is to write large and clear on the tube "DO NOT CONVEY".  when they run these packages through that conveyor at warp speeds and it jams up, the tube is the log in the log jam and it will break when enough force is applied.  if you write do not convey you at least give them an opportunity to not put it on the conveyor and to walk it to the sorting destination.


fishing user avatarnpl_texas reply : 
  On 6/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Big Kahuna Ranch said:

I had a member here ship me two rods.

This is what the cardboard tube looked like when I recieved it.

 

Fortunatly, the bend in the tube was on the tip end of the rods and the seller

had wrapped them with bubble tape so they came in ok

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

I mailed this and I'm wondering what in the hell USPS did to break that tube like that.  They are pretty strong.  I feel terrible but I'm glad the rods made it unscathed.


fishing user avatarLeftymuk reply : 

I just paid 18.82 to ship a 7'6" rod..........USPS what a nightmare




1446

related Fishing Flea Market topic

ISO: swimbaits
Winter Cleaning
Tons of Tungsten for sale Green Pumpkin/Black/Plain from 1/32 to 2.5 oz
Wtb Jig Rod
Hard Baits, Worms, Grubs. Updated! Fast Shipping
Cleaning Out All Of My Extra Stuff
3 ghost rods, and tw backpack full of lures



previous topic
Bnib Rapala And Storm Lots!! -- Fishing Flea Market
next topic
ISO: swimbaits -- Fishing Flea Market